A chiropractic adjustment is a form of spinal manipulation where the doctor applies pressure to your spine in order to correct an abnormal alignment. Using a variety of techniques, including Applied Kinesiology, the adjustment will enable the joints to be mobilized.
There is no real standard spinal adjustment as every case differs in the need for how much pressure is needed, parts of the body that need adjustment, and how often treatment is required.
What you can expect from a chiropractic
A chiropractic adjustment is a form of natural healing that is proven to alleviate musculoskeletal pain and stiffness. At your appointment, you can expect the following:
- The doctor will first talk to you about those areas that are bothering you the most and the type of pain that you are experiencing.
- You will lay down on the examination table on your stomach and relax as much as possible.
- Your doctor will most likely have you sit on the side of the table while she asks you to move various parts of your body. She may pick up your arm and ask you to press against her hand. This is part of the Applied Kinesiology assessment
- Your doctor will begin by gently probing the problem areas with her fingers as she assesses where adjustment is needed.
- Using a variety of techniques and varying levels of pressure, the doctor will gently work your spine back into alignment.
What conditions can be treated with a chiropractic adjustment?
A chiropractic adjustment is effective for the following conditions:
- Arthritis/Joint issues
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Disk problems
- Hip pain
- Sacroiliac pain
- Leg pain
- Neck pain
- Pregnancy back pain
DO I NEED A MEDICAL REFERRAL
That would depend on your insurance carrier. In most cases, a medical referral is not necessary. Not all insurance covers chiropractic care, so you might want to double check your coverage for this.
DOES IT HURT?
Chiropractic adjustment might hurt a little after your first session. It all depends on your condition when you begin treatment. If you are seeking treatment following a car accident, you may experience a little discomfort following your first session, but as you continue treatment, you will notice a great deal of improvement.
WHAT IS THAT POPPING SOUND DURING YOUR ADJUSTMENT?
That popping sound is a good thing. It is the sound of your vertebrae moving back into their proper alignment. You might start to notice that you feel some degree of relief every time you hear that sound.
IS IT SAFE TO HAVE CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT WHEN PREGNANT?
Absolutely. Not only will it ease your lower back pain, but it has also been known to improve your labor when the time comes. Chiropractic adjustment reduces stress for both you and your baby.
HOW SOON WILL I FEEL BETTER?
You will start to feel better in short order. As mentioned under the pain question, this will be different for every patient. Some patients will start to feel better after their first treatment. Others might be sore after their first few sessions.
For example, the patient recovering from a car accident and the patient with fibromyalgia will take a little longer to notice improvement than those patients seeking adjustment for general wellness. It all depends on what condition you are in when you begin treatment.